- Book of the Dead
- Barbara Lüscher, Der Totenbuch-Papyrus Princeton Pharaonic Roll 5, Beiträge zum Alten Ägypten, 2 (Basel: Orientverlag, 2008); Thomas Schneider, "The First Documented Occurence of the God Yahweh? (Book of the Dead, Princeton 'Roll 5')," Journal of Ancient Near Eastern Religions, vol. 7, no. 2 (2007), pp. 113-120.
Browse All Items 620 items
The Princeton University Library's collections of papyri were acquired from different sources and are mostly preserved in the Manuscripts Division, Department of Rare Books and Special Collections. Princeton acquired 90 papyri from 1901 to 1922 through the Graeco-Roman Branch of the Egypt Exploration Society, but the bulk of Princeton's papyri were acquired in the 1920s, either directly or indirectly through the British Museum. Many were received from 1921 to 1928 through Princeton's participation in a five-member consortium that included Princeton and other universities (Columbia, Cornell, Michigan, University of California at Berkeley, the University of Geneva). Robert Garrett (1875-1961), Class of 1897, partially underwrote Princeton's purchases. and then between 1924 and 1930 independently purchased approximately 750 Egyptian papyri through the British Museum for his own manuscript collection, which was first deposited in the Library for scholarly use and publication, then formally donated in 1942 with the rest of the Garrett Collection. There are more than a thousand pieces in Princeton's collections. Best known are Princeton's literary, early Christian, and sub-literary papyri. Among authors represented are Aristophanes, Demosthenes, Euripides, Herodotus, Hippocrates, Homer, Isocrates, Theocritus, and Xenophon. But a much larger number are Greek documentary papyri, including census and tax registers, military lists, land convey¬ances, business records, petitions, private letters, and other sources of historical and paleographic interest from Ptolemaic (332-30 BCE), Roman (30 BCE-300 CE), and Byzantine Egypt (300-650 CE). Nearly all were discovered from the 1890s to the 1920s, buried or recovered from mummy cartonnage in and around the ancient Egyptian town of Oxyrhynchus and the Fayum towns. The Princeton collections also include papyri in Egyptian languages (Hieroglyphic, Hieratic, Demotic, and Coptic); Arabic papyri from the Islamic period (from 640 CE); and a smaller number of Latin papyri from Roman Egypt and Ravenna.